Mission and Goals
The Kansas Highway Patrol is devoted to improving quality of life through spirited and dedicated service. We pledge to be responsive to concerns of citizens and public safety partners. We will do this by providing professional law enforcement services and share resources in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
We believe in treating all persons with courtesy and respect. The preservation of individual dignity and constitutional rights is paramount in performing our duties. Protecting the rights of co-workers and providing a safe, secure working environment are of equal importance.
We are committed to providing protection of life and property through active enforcement of traffic, criminal, and other laws of the State of Kansas, and by supporting homeland security initiatives. We recognize our responsibility to uphold and enforce this authority in a competent, fair, and honest manner.
Consistent with the Patrol's mission and principal function, we will strive to attain the following goals:
- To reduce the number and severity of traffic crashes through the enforcement of impaired driving and occupant protection laws.
- The Patrol will promote the use of child restraints and safety belts through aggressive enforcement and educational programs.
- The Patrol will deter motorists from driving impaired and will arrest impaired drivers through proven DUI countermeasures, such as selective enforcement efforts and sobriety check lanes.
- To vigorously pursue, apprehend, and prosecute those who utilize Kansas highways for criminal activities.
- To improve the quality of our service and enforcement activities by developing programs and incorporating technologies that enhance public safety.
- To enhance public relations through local community involvement in schools, civic organizations, and businesses.