NEWS RELEASE: October 25, 2012
CONTACT: Lieutenant Harold Tillman (785) 296-3102
Checklane Planned for Shawnee County
The Kansas Highway Patrol will conduct a checklane beginning this Friday evening. The checklane will go from Friday, October 26, into the early morning hours of Saturday, October 27. The checklane will be set up at a location in Shawnee County.
The purpose for the checklane is to remove impaired drivers from the roads, and to deter drivers from operating a vehicle if they are impaired. Any driver suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs will be stopped and given field sobriety tests.
As always, the law enforcement community strongly encourages the use of designated sober drivers, and for everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seatbelts. Here are some tips if you are planning to go out this weekend.
- If you plan to drive, do not drink.
- If you plan to drink, designate a non-drinking driver and give that person your keys.
- Never ride with a driver who has been drinking.
- Take a list of phone numbers with you for cabs or friends to call for a sober ride home.
- If possible, plan to spend the night at the event.
- If you are throwing a party, provide non-alcoholic alternatives, and never let guests drive drunk.
- Report impaired drivers to your local law enforcement agency.
- Always buckle up and properly secure children in their safety seats.