What is Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)?

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) is a fee collected from interstate carriers that helps fund motor carrier safety initiatives, such as safety and education.  

It is based on the number of vehicles in the fleet and collected annually.  Enforcement begins January 1st of each year.  If you operate interstate; or have an active Operating Authority, also known as an “MC number”; or have an interstate USDOT number, you must pay UCR fees.

For more information, visit: https://www.ucr.gov/

Show All Answers

1. Do I need operating authority?
2. Do I need to display a USDOT number?
3. How do I obtain a USDOT number?
4. Are there any exceptions to needing a USDOT number?
5. Are there any exceptions to obtaining a USDOT number for intrastate commerce (wholly within Kansas)?
6. Does the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) issue KDOT numbers for intrastate commerce?
7. What is Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)?
8. What the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)?
9. What is apportioned registration?
10. When is Kansas commercial vehicle registration (license plate) required?
11. If my vehicle(s) require apportioned registration or the Kansas commercial vehicle registration, does that also mean it requires a USDOT number?
12. When are haz-mat placards required?